If you can identify when your shoes are worn out and need replacing, you’re on the road to keeping your feet happy. Worn shoes can affect your biomechanics and may put you at risk of pain and injuries. It’s not uncommon for worn shoes to look fine on the outside (especially if you look after them well) but if we look a little closer we may find out they are not as they appear.
There are a few general rules to determine whether your shoes need to be replaced. Here are some features to look out for:
Have a look at the sole of the shoe –
- Is it wearing such that the grip is disappearing, has it lost its shape or is it overly compressed? Put the shoes onto a flat surface and look at them at eye height, often the shoes can compress and wear on one side more than the other in time such that it may tilt inwards or outwards and look uneven.
- Does the sole easily bend and twist in half if you manipulate it, does it easily give way when it did not use to?
Look at the heel counter and upper –
- Has it warped, stretched or become very soft, is the material worn through?
If there are any securing buckles or straps make sure they are still holding your foot securely into the shoe and not coming undone.
Some key points if you’re still not sure:
- For running shoes you want to be replacing them after about 800km in distance or every 12 months, whichever comes first.
- Sometimes a worn shoe will not fit well or hold your foot securely anymore, particularly if it has compressed and stretched, this may cause your heels or your foot to slip out, side to side or back and forth in the shoe.
Remember that the quality of the shoe you buy will affect how long it will last, as well as the type of activity you’re performing in them and the surfaces you are walking and training on. If you’re still not sure or you have concerns about the suitability, wear or fit of your current footwear, our Podiatrists will be able to point you in the right direction. Or if you just need to replace that old pair of shoes, we have a wide range of walking and running footwear at our stores in Indooroopilly and Windsor.