If you can identify when your shoes are worn out and need replacing, you’re on the road to keeping your feet happy. Worn out shoes can affect your biomechanics and may put you at risk of pain and injuries. It’s not uncommon for worn shoes to look fine on the outside (especially if you look after them well) but if we look a little closer we may find things are not as they appear!
There are a few general ways for you to determine whether your shoes need to be replaced. Here are some features to look out for:
The sole of the shoe –
- Is it wearing so that the grip is disappearing? Has it lost its shape or is it overly compressed?
- Put the shoes onto a flat surface and look at them at eye height. Often the shoes can compress and wear on one side more than the other in time that it may tilt inwards or outwards and look uneven.
- Does the sole easily bend and twist in half if you manipulate it?
The heel counter and upper –
- Has it warped, stretched or become very soft? Is the material worn through?
If there are any buckles or straps make sure they are still holding your foot securely into the shoe and not coming undone.
Some key points if you’re still not sure:
- For running shoes you want to be replacing them after about 800km in distance or every 12 months, whichever comes first.
- Generally a worn shoe will not fit well or hold your foot securely anymore, particularly if it has compressed and stretched. It will probably feel comfortable under foot as it is what you’re use to, but you may start to feel fatigue or pain in your knees, feet, hips, or legs in general.
- An over worn shoe may allow your heels or your foot to slip out the back, side to side, or back and forth in the shoe.
The quality (and price point) of the shoe you buy will affect how long it will last, as will the type of activity you’re performing in them and the surfaces you are walking and training on. If you’re still not sure or you have concerns about the suitability, wear or fit of your current footwear, our Podiatrists & fitting staff will be able to point you in the right direction.
If you have now looked at your shoes and realised you need to replace them, we have a wide range of walking and running footwear at our stores in Indooroopilly and Windsor.